Joggers bounce up and down at stoplights-Runners just stand there looking pissed.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Changing of the Guard

Happy middle of the year! It’s been awhile since anyone has posted anything on this Non-runner Runners’ blog beside me so I think it has officially become MY Non-runner Runners’ blog. And I think it may have in actuality become a Runners blog (Nix the NON part). As I sit here and eat some Cool Ranch Doritos (sshhh don’t tell on me) I’m deciding on which way I want to steer this blog from now on. I’ve lost a few of my non-runner runners but a few old faithful girls are still holding on and I’ve also gained a few new recruits. In fact, I turned one into a running maniac. I won’t mention a name but trust me-she’s insanity at its finest. In all the best ways of course. She inspires me.

I’m ¾ of the way finished with my New Year’s Resolution of running the Beach Cities Challenge. We have exactly 87 days until the Long Beach half marathon which will reward me with that big hunky medal. I’m so excited J and proud of my running goals being met this year. I feel like a winner! I’m 95% sure that LB will be my last marathon of 2012 but the 2013 marathon calendar is already in the making. I have been registered as a “Team” for the Tinkerbelle ½ marathon in January and I’m 100% planning on running my 2nd full marathon next May at the OC Full. And my lovely blond headed BFF and I tentatively have my b-day weekend 2013 planned as going to Vegas and running the ½ marathon down the Vegas strip at night. Sounds fun right!? Only a crazy person chooses to run 13.1 miles on her b-day. But it’s Vegas. And it’s at night. And I hear you get a glow in the dark medal. I can’t pass that up. Plus, let’s not forget I absolutely want to re-run the Mud Run and Color Run 5k’s again-2 of the funnest short runs ever!  

I’m also thinking that changing my 2013 goals to include more “challenging” runs is in the works. No more plain, flat, run 13.1 miles and you’re finished runs. I’m going to start challenging myself with the tougher runs like The Tough Mudder or the Zombie run or the youmaydie.com run. Something that makes me want to die. I feel so much more accomplished after the feeling of death subsides. Plus anytime I say I did something that intense I impress myself. I am my own best critic.

On a random-non running tangent I graduated this past May and now have a Health degree. The irony of this is that I am constantly asking other people how to be healthier because I do not know how. I can tell someone else all day long what they should do, how they should exercise, and what they should be eating but when it comes to me-my own advice I just can’t seem to follow it. I dislike running, LOVE coffee mainly for the creamers, eat like a pig, and sometimes indulge in chocolates when there are no gummy bears in sight. So I’ve decided-maybe I’ll use this blog to not only gripe and complain about the toughness of running but I’ll use it to document my own little journey to health.This post has taken me almost half my day since I’m sitting here at my desk at work and have paused many times to get work done-so now that I’m no longer grubbing on the Doritos I shouldn’t have eaten (which now in retrospect I feel super guilty about)-I now have a yummy plate of fruit that I’m devouring. Fruit=good. Welcome to the unhealthy life of a health major. The journey begins…XOXO Care to join me for a run tonight?

Heather

1 comment: